Explore Your Shore! on Facebook
- If you are confounded and befuddled by a plant or animal you have spotted on the seashore or coastline, why not post it on our Facebook Page (@ExploreYourShore) where the combined intellect of the internet can help you to get a positive ID before you send it to us via Seashore Spotter or one of our other surveys. (Please note that we cannot accept records via Facebook – so after you have received your ID – you will still need to send it to us via our web form).
Useful Guides to Intertidal Species
- Photographic guide to the sea and seashore life of Britain and north-west Europe by Gibson, R., Hextall, B. & Rogers, A., 2001. Publisher: Oxford University Press.
- Ireland’s Seashore: A Field Guide by Lucy Taylor & Emma Nickelsen. Publisher: The Collins Press
- Seaweeds of Britain and Ireland by Frances StP D Bunker, Juliet A Brodie, Christine A Maggs & Anne R Bunker. Publisher: Wild Nature Press.
- The Essential Guide to Beachcombing and the Strandline by Steve Trewhella & Julie Hatcher. Publisher: Wild Nature Press.
Species Identification Web Links
- The Seaweed Site: information on marine algae – a great site for all you need to know about Irish Seaweeds.
- Marine Bivalve Shells of the British Isles – a fantastic resource for identification of bivalve shells you may discover on your coastal adventures.
- Key to Irish Chitons – a guide to the Chiton species on Irish shores, hosted by UCD.
Marine Project & Information Links
- Irish Lagoons – details of the 90 or so coastal lagoons that can be found around the Irish coast.
- CLEAR – a research project co-funded by the EPA and the National Parks & Wildlife Service which seeks to address the pressures of water pollution and hydrological modification on lagoon ecology.
Irish Marine Online Publications
- Sherkin Comment – environmental publication of Sherkin Island Marine Station.
- Catchments Newsletter – EPA Newsletter on Irish Catchment Management: sharing science and stories from Irish rivers and coastal areas.
Marine Themed Resources for little Explorers!
- Nature’s Web – an exciting newsletter for children, featuring interesting and informative news on nature and the environment.
- Explorers Education Programme – resources for primary school children, teachers and the education network, creating marine leaders and ocean champions in Ireland.
- Scoil na Mara – The Scoil na Mara project is a series of videos promoting ocean literacy and conservation for primary school learners.